“Understanding the times/Knowing what we are to do”
This scripture has been quoted often describing some of David’s mighty men – the sons of Issachar in
I Chron12:32 but it relates to us today.
We are living in intense times of spiritual battle. The art of war is know yourself and know your enemy. (I will add know God and know your commander’s voice.) Know that God is with you and for you.
Know your strength, your gifting, your weaknesses, and know your boundaries in God’s leading so you don’t overextend yourself or give opportunity to the enemy.
The enemy operates in the following ways:
- Getting someone into comparison – 1Cor 10:12 KJV
- Causing someone to hold offense – Matt 18:15-20; Ps 119:165
- Persecution – Jer 20:7-9; 1 Pet 4:12-14; Ps 35:1; Ps 37:9; Ps 37:39-40; Ps 63:11b; Ps 106:8 & 10; Ps 21:11; Matt 10:18-20; Ps 56:9-11
- Disappointment (maybe even blaming or resenting God) – Rom 8:31-39; Gen 50:20
- What was intended for evil can be turned for good
- In Rev 3:7-8 when one door closes, He has another open door.
- Hindrances – 1Thess 2:18
- Paul sent Timothy instead – God always has a way for His purposes to be accomplished.
- In 2 Cor 1:8-11 God delivered them and they believed He would continue to deliver them.
- Weariness – Dan 7:25; Gal 6:9; Matt 11:28-30
- My late husband used to say that before going on a long trip we need to gas up our car and the same is true spiritually. When we feel weary, we need to take time with the Lord in His Word and prayer. That sounds simple but it’s still true.
- Pride – James 4:6
- Humility is the opening that God can operate through – recognizing we need His grace, no matter how gifted we feel we are in an area; also recognizing we need others and that we cannot do what we do without others.
- Isolation – 1 Cor 12:21-25
- Strife and Division – James 3:16; Eph 4:1-3 ;Eph 5:1-2, 20; Eph 4:29-32; Ps 50:20; Ps 55:12-14, 22; Is 29:24; Matt 18:15-20; Ps 133:1-3
- Sickness – Ps 107:20; Prov 4:20-22; Is 53:5; Matt 8:17; 1 Pet 2:24; Ps 103:1-3; Jer 30:17
- Depression – Ps 42:5; Ps 42:6 MSG; Lk 4:18
- Jesus said He has sent me to heal the broken hearted.
- Ps 3:3 “But You, O Lord are a shield for me, my glory, and the lifter of my head.”
- Rom 15:13 “Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing that you may abound in hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.”
- Remember we serve God Almighty who is with us and in us. He can work supernaturally when we believe and live by faith in His Word. The key is hearing His voice – His direction. He wants to help us wherever we are.
- Fear – 2 Tim 1:7; 1 Jn 4:18; I Jn 4:4; 1 Jn 5:4
- The enemy seeks to paralyze us at times with the spirit of fear. But Paul says we have been given the spirit of love, power, and a sound mind.
This is not a time for us to back down or feel inferior. This is a time for us to rise in God’s courage and boldness because of our love for God and for others. When I think of David being willing to stand before Goliath who mocked him and threatened his life but David responded in his faith in the God of his covenant, I’m inspired. When I think of Daniel, the three Hebrew young men, Esther, and others, I’m inspired that God is still the same today and will work through willing vessels who believe in their relationship with Him.
God is calling believers in this hour to places of influence in our world. He’s also calling His church to stand together to counter the enemy’s plans. “When the enemy shall come in, like a flood the Spirit of the Lord will lift up a standard against him.” Is 59:19